Thursday 29 August 2013

Twist your words

Sometimes our mind tries to take us into a dark place where we are not whole, worthy, or loved. Many things can trigger such an attack; a stressful situation, grief, an illness or even a day of rough weather is enough to direct our thoughts away from their positive path. When you find yourself spiraling into this zone say "stop!" Write down what your immediate thought is, such as "I can't do anything right". This is your thought and it feels real, but it is not created in logic. What is a more logical thought? "I might make a mistake, but it is worth trying". This might be enough to calm your panicked emotion and steer you back onto a brighter course. Shift the mind into a place of safety, hope and acceptance by blocking the negative, scouting out a positive and staking your claim in a more preferred mental location.

6 comments:

  1. Excellent reminders!!! When my mind starts to spiral downward, I actually picture a stop sign in my head and then do focused meditation on positive thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to borrow your stop sign. I truly need that.

      Delete
  2. I always try to catch myself when I find my thoughts wandering in this direction...as long as I can catch them in time I'm usually ok. But sometimes it's easier said than done :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it best to respond and not react. What helps me to do that is, again, considering the source. If I'm being motivated by blame, shame, guilt, fear or judgment, I know that's not coming from my Higher Power. He doesn't cheapen himself by using those negative qualities to motivate me. He uses truth and love, combined, to encourage me.

    Truth alone, I've discovered, brings only judgment. Love, alone, can lead me to unreality, and, perhaps, irresponsibility. But together, they work well.

    Example: I may minimize my not doing an assignment. "Oh, that's okay, you have plenty of time," I may rationalize. Truth reminds me the task is due tomorrow and I will perform it better if I give myself enough time, early today, to do it well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truth and love. So powerful! I will try to think of the source of these thoughts and know that they don't come from a place of healing and then try to work around them. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete