Wednesday 11 September 2013

Shop local

Something magical happens when we purchase goods from someone in our community. It helps us appreciate the product so much more. There is also a feeling of charity in a way, supporting someone who may not be able to sell their wares to a retailer. It also supports sustainable practices, shopping local is very, very green! Make a plan to check out a craft show or a farmers market in the next week. If you cannot find one in your community, visit a small, independently owned shop like a butcher or a flower shop. Start up conversations about the items you are interested in, learn how they were made and what is special about them. You will treasure your purchase whether it is giant cucumbers from a granny's garden or sweet honey from a bee farm. How do you shop local? What was your favourite experience?

4 comments:

  1. I need to shop local more - but there's nothing local in my area to buy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe there is a farmer near you who sells eggs. DELICIOUS!

      Delete
  2. every Wednesday in the summer and fall my town has a farmer's market. we always make sure to stock up on our fresh veggies and milk every week :) i loooooove supporting our local farmers. one of my many dreams is to one day grow all my own in my yard!

    ps. thank you for your comment on my post today, it made me smile and giggle out loud at my desk :) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh I have never found milk at a farmers market, that is amazing! I bet it's soooo good. I am glad my words could make you giggle, I really love your blog!

      Delete