Tuesday 26 March 2013

Go with the flow

Making mistakes is human.  It happens all the time.  We may leave our car light on and drain the battery, we may wash delicates in the regular wash cycle or burn the garlic toast.  Why do we often allow these small situations to create self-loathing and frustration? Chidlren rarely harbour guilt or upset feelings over mistakes they have made.  Hitting their sibling, spilling milk on Mom's phone or getting dirty hands on clean window drapes has the instant reaction of negative emotion, then minutes later, the thought disappears, never to be brought up again.  Like water of a duck's back, they face their mistakes and move on.  When did we move away from this blank screen approach and instead fill our thoughts with should have and could haves untill our stomach feels the stress we've put it under.  Be gentle with yourself, move onwards and upwards.

5 comments:

  1. I am bad about this sometimes!! I struggle at times with the inability to forgove myself for certain things that have occured in the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too precious, you must forgive, forgive!

      Delete
  2. Sometimes I just can't seem to block negative thoughts from taking over my brain. Last night though, I played in the snow like I was 5 years old again. It was so much fun. I jumped off of the deep snow banks and I ran through the snowy fields by my home. I pretended that I was flying and I threw myself into the powdery snow whenever I could. I rolled around and I made snow angels. I laughed until my stomach muscles ached and I stared at the stars with my back feeling cold against the ground. It was amazing. Children definitely do have the concept of "living" right. Today, I am going to try and be gentle on myself like a child would be when they make mistakes.

    Thank you wise Vanessa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a special circumstance because you have an ilnness that is plaguing you. The mind is a minefield filled with negative thoughts that threaten to spiral you into a blind panic. This is not your fault. The fact that you could grab control and run out into the fresh snow is an inspiring story because it means you are fighting back. So happy for you!

      Delete
  3. Gosh I needed this today. Going with the flow helps so much! Less stress, less anger, less sadness -- more positive feelings take its place. Though of course there we always need to remember that there is indeed a difference between going with the flow and apathy!

    ReplyDelete