Wednesday 9 October 2013

Self-ish

The term selfish tends to have a negative slant to it. Treating ourselves, improving our situation or asking for help could be considered a selfish act. We sometimes feel guilt for taking care of our own needs. A bubble bath when the dishes are still piled up, choosing a less stressful project at work, ordering dessert at the restaurant are all a little on the extravagant side, but these things are so necessary. Of course there has to be balance, we must be of service to others and our jobs and our community, but of equal importance is self care. The only way we can continue to give and spread our light out into the world is to stoke our personal fire and ensure our happiness has been tended to. Make a list of your favourite self care activities, or build a list of things you need that you won't compromise on. Review this list often to check in. "You, yourself, more than anyone in the universe, deserves your love and affection" - Buddha

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It's like our brains were running on the same wavelength. Where do you live? I would love for us to have coffee!

      Delete
    2. im in new hampshire, and you're in canada?

      Delete
  2. I think selfish can be an overused term. I think some selfishness can be "healthy". As you said, what good are we if we neglect ourself??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I find the older I get the more I understand this one. B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. But I look back at my teenage years and I recall being so good at making sure my needs were cared for. When Buffy would come on TV I would put away everything and immerse myself in the joy of my favourite program.

      Delete